Importation of firearms
Procedure for temporary importation of firearms
There are 2 ways to obtain a temporarily import permit for your fire-arms
1. Yourself as a client
Step 1: Proof of ownership-Customs 4457 (US citizens)
Register every fire-arm you want to bring with your local customs office to show that you are the legal owner of the fire-arm. For US citizens the customs 4457 form can be obtained at any customs office at the larger airports .
Step2: SAPS 520
Download the SAPS 520 form for the applications of a temporarily importation permit.
Step3: Complete SAPS 520
Complete the SAPS 520 form in black ink only and, do not sign it until you arrive at the customs office at OR Tambo International airport in Johannesburg.
Step4: Invitation letter
Molopo Kalahari Safaris will send you an Invitation letter which has to accompany your SAPS 520 form.
Step5: Proof of export from country of origin
For US citizens the customs 4457 form also act as a proof of export.
Step6: Other documentation needed
– Valid passport
– Return Airline ticket
Meet & Greet service
If you would like to be met and walked through customs by some body, please Contact or e-mail Sharon or Adel:
Phone: 011 27 82 9541520
- You are not allowed to bring more than one fire-arm of the same caliber per person
- A Maximum of three fire-arms is allowed per person.
- Automatic and Semi-automatic fire-arms are not allowed.
- Pistols and handguns will only be allowed if it will be used for hunting.
- A Maximum of 200 rounds of ammunition is allowed per caliber.
- Refer to our “packing list” for suggested numbers of rounds of ammunition for hunting.
2. Through PHASA
Through PHASA you can apply and get your temporarily importation permit before you arrive in South Africa. Phasa also provide a meet and greet service together with this.
Contact or e-mail Tersia at PHASA (Professional hunters association of south Africa) :
Phone: 011 27 12 667 2048 Fax: 011 27 12 667 2049